'Google Translate' vs 'Naver Papago'

As you know, the quality of translation has improved dramatically compared
to the machine translation algorithm used in the past.

Although 'Goole Translate' is the most popular worldwide, many Koreans are using Papago,
developed by Naver Korea, as well.

I will test the translation of the two companies.

- Goole Translate' : https://translate.google.com/

For those who do not understand Korean language,
I will show the valid translation in BLUE, invalid translation in RED.


1. The first sentence to be tested is 
'The town shriveled and dried up along with the lake, and the people who lived there.'
(This is a text in a book, called Holes, I read these days.)

1) Google


Result : 그 마을은 호수와 그곳에 살았던 사람들과 함께 날카롭게 말랐다.   ★★★☆☆
(The village was sharply dry with the lake and the people who lived there.)


2) Papago


Result : 도시는 호수와 함께 말라 가고 거기에 사는 사람들과 함께 말라 버렸다. → ★★★★☆
(The city dried up with the lake and dried up with the people who lived there.)



2.  Second sentence : 'Once when I was six years old I saw a magnificent picture in a book, 
called True Stories from Nature, about the primeval forest.'
(From The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.)

1) Google


Result : 제가 6 살이되던 해에 자연의 진실 이야기라고 불리는 책에서 장엄한 그림을 보았습니다. → ★★★☆☆
(When I was 6 years old,
I saw a magnificent picture in a book called Nature's Truth.)
→ 'about the primeval forest' is omitted. If there were no omissions, I would give five stars.


2) Papago


Result : 제가 6살이었을 때, 저는 자연 그대로의 원시림이라는 책에서 웅장한 그림을 보았습니다. → ★★★★☆
(When I was six years old, I saw a magnificent picture in a book called Natural Forest.)



3. Third sentence : 'She felt very strongly that I should be adopted by college graduates, 
so everything was all set for me to be adopted at birth by a lawyer and his wife.'
(From Steve Jobs' Commencement at Stanford 2005)

1) Google


Result : 그녀는 내가 대학 졸업자들에 의해 입양되어야한다는 것을 매우 강하게 느꼈으므로, 모든 것이 출생시에 변호사와 그의 아내에 의해 채택되도록 모든 것이 설정되었다. → ★★★★☆
(She felt very strongly that I should be adopted by college graduates, so everything was set to be adopted by lawyers and their wives at birth.)
Although it is not a natural Korean, but I can understand it.


2)  Papago


Result : 그녀는 내가 대학 졸업생들에 의해 입양되어야 한다고 절실히 느꼈다. 그래서 모든 것은 변호사와 그의 아내가 태어날 때 나에게 입양 되어져야 할 모든 것이었다. → ★☆☆☆☆
(She felt compelled to be adopted by college graduates. So everything was everything I had to be adopted to me when the lawyer and his wife were born.
→ Although this is Korean language, I don't understand this.



I think Papago is a good translation or better than Google.

Try using 'Papago' when you change English into Korean.
Powered by Blogger.